Foil may refer to:
- Foil (metal), a quite thin sheet of metal, usually manufactured with a rolling mill machine
- Metal leaf, a very thin sheet of decorative metal
- Aluminium foil, a type of wrapping for food
- Tin foil, metal foil made of tin, the direct predecessor to aluminium foil
- Plastic foil, a thin layer of plastic material
- Transparency (projection), as in "foil" (film over incandescent light) or "viewfoil"
- Fluid dynamics
- Foil (fluid mechanics)
- Airfoil, a foil operating in air
- Hydrofoil, a foil operating in water
- Parafoil, a non-rigid airfoil, inflated during use
- Foil bearing, a type of fluid bearing
- Arts and culture
- Foil stamping, a printmaking technique
- Foil (band), a Seattle-based grunge rock band c.1990 - 98
- Foil (literature), a subsidiary character who emphasizes the traits of a main character
- A Comedic (or comic) foil, is the straight man in a comedy double act
- The FOIL method, a way to expand the product of two first-degree polynomials ("linear factors")
- Hydrofoil, a type of high-powered motorboat that uses underwater foils to lift its hull above the water when moving at high speeds
- Bruce foil, a foil used on an outrigger to prevent a boat from heeling
- Centerboard, a movable keel that functions as a foil
- Foilboard, a surfboard using a hydrofoil
- People in a police lineup
- First Order Inductive Learner - a rule-based learning algorithm
- FOIL (programming language), one of two now-defunct computer programming languages
- Foil (fencing), one of the three weapons used in modern fencing
- Forum of Indian Leftists, a political group of Indian intellectuals
- Freedom of information legislation or Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
- Ultrasonic foil (papermaking), a type of high frequency vibrating foil involved in papermaking
Other articles related to "foil":
... Matthias Behr (born April 1, 1955 in Tauberbischofsheim, Baden-Württemberg) is a German foil fencer ... Matthias Behr is married to the former foil fencer Zita Funkenhauser ... During his career as a fencer, he was part of a group of foil fencers from Tauberbischofsheim, or from the competitive centre there, who dominated their ...
... Foil, Missouri is an unincorporated community in northern Ozark County ... Foil also was home to a one-room schoolhouse until the late 1950s ... Almartha Brixey Dora Dugginsville Elijah Foil Hammond Hardenville Howards Ridge Isabella Longrun Lutie Mammoth Noble Nottinghill Ocie Pontiac Rockbridge Romance ...
1985 Junior World Fencing Championships, foil, individual and team 1986 World Fencing Championships, foil, individual 1988 Junior World Fencing ...
... Olympics Games Foil team (2004) Foil individual (2004) Foil individual (2008) and Foil team (2000) World Championships Foil individual (2001, 2005) and ...
... 崔秉哲) (born October 24, 1981) is a South Korean foil fencer ... Choi made his first appearance by winning gold in individual foil and bronze in team foil at the 2001 Junior World Fencing Championships ... In 2007, he won the bronze medal in the foil team event at the World Fencing Championships in Saint Petersburg, Russia ...
Famous quotes containing the word foil:
“Learning is, in too many cases, but a foil to common sense; a substitute for true knowledge. Books are less often made use of as spectacles to look at nature with, than as blinds to keep out its strong light and shifting scenery from weak eyes and indolent dispositions.... The learned are mere literary drudges.”
—William Hazlitt (17781830)
“the stars turn slowly
in the blue foil beside them
like the eyes of a mild savior.”
—James Tate (b. 1943)
“Within his crib is surest ward,
This little babe will be thy guard,
If thou wilt foil thy foes with joy,
Then flit not from this heavenly boy.”
—Robert Southwell (1561?1595)