Notable People, Past and Present
- The Rev. Nathaniel Chauncey, first graduate of Yale University.
- Moses Austin, (1761–1821), born in Durham, noted businessman involved in the lead industry
- Stephen F. Austin, Son of Moses Austin and founder of Texas.
- Chauncey Goodrich (1759–1815), lawyer and politician who served in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. In the Sixth Congress, he served with his brother, Elizur.
- Elizur Goodrich (1761–1849), lawyer and politician
- Phineas Lyman (1716–74) major general in the Connecticut militia during the French and Indian War who later led settlers to a tract of land near Natchez, Mississippi
- James Wadsworth (1730–1816) lawyer, the second-highest ranked militia officer in the state during the American Revolutionary War and a delegate to the Continental Congress in 1784.
- Vin Baker (1971-), former professional basketball player who played in the National Basketball Association.
Read more about this topic: Durham, Connecticut
Other articles related to "present, notable":
... had a female householder with no husband present, 758 (3.5%) had a male householder with no wife present ...
... son, Uddhav, was seen in tears on television broadcasts, and his estranged nephew, Raj, was also present but walked behind the hearse after getting off the ...
... Further information List of people from Bitola Some notable people born in Bitola are Nikolce Noveski, footballer Karolina Gočeva, singer Hristijan Spirovski ...
... And that's a terrible burden on black people, because they don't have an accurate idea of their history, which has been either suppressed or distorted." ...
... The California Water Wars, a struggle between Los Angeles and the Owens Valley for water rights, is one of the most well-known examples of the lengths people will go to in order to secure adequate water supplies ... Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said "We've been in crisis for quite some time because we're now 38 million people and not anymore 18 million people like we were in the late 60s ...
Famous quotes containing the words present and/or notable:
“I am present at the sowing of the seed of the world. With a geometry of sunbeams, the soul lays the foundations of nature.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Every notable advance in technique or organization has to be paid for, and in most cases the debit is more or less equivalent to the credit. Except of course when its more than equivalent, as it has been with universal education, for example, or wireless, or these damned aeroplanes. In which case, of course, your progress is a step backwards and downwards.”
—Aldous Huxley (18941963)