Notable People, Past and Present
- The Rev. Nathaniel Chauncey, first graduate of Yale University.
- Moses Austin, (1761–1821), born in Durham, noted businessman involved in the lead industry
- Stephen F. Austin, Son of Moses Austin and founder of Texas.
- Chauncey Goodrich (1759–1815), lawyer and politician who served in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. In the Sixth Congress, he served with his brother, Elizur.
- Elizur Goodrich (1761–1849), lawyer and politician
- Phineas Lyman (1716–74) major general in the Connecticut militia during the French and Indian War who later led settlers to a tract of land near Natchez, Mississippi
- James Wadsworth (1730–1816) lawyer, the second-highest ranked militia officer in the state during the American Revolutionary War and a delegate to the Continental Congress in 1784.
- Vin Baker (1971-), former professional basketball player who played in the National Basketball Association.
Read more about this topic: Durham, Connecticut
Other articles related to "notable, present":
... Further information List of people from Bitola Some notable people born in Bitola are Nikolce Noveski, footballer Karolina Gočeva, singer Hristijan Spirovski, pianist ...
... in tears on television broadcasts, and his estranged nephew, Raj, was also present but walked behind the hearse after getting off the truck to join ...
... couples living together, 1,844 (8.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 758 (3.5%) had a male householder with no wife present ...
... And that's a terrible burden on black people, because they don't have an accurate idea of their history, which has been either suppressed or distorted." ...
... The California Water Wars, a struggle between Los Angeles and the Owens Valley for water rights, is one of the most well-known examples of the lengths people will go to in order to secure adequate water supplies ... Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said "We've been in crisis for quite some time because we're now 38 million people and not anymore 18 million people like we were in the late 60s ...
Famous quotes containing the words present and/or notable:
“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”
—George Orwell (19031950)
“In one notable instance, where the United States Army and a hundred years of persuasion failed, a highway has succeeded. The Seminole Indians surrendered to the Tamiami Trail. From the Everglades the remnants of this race emerged, soon after the trail was built, to set up their palm-thatched villages along the road and to hoist tribal flags as a lure to passing motorists.”
—For the State of Florida, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)