Drugs, both medicinal and recreational, can be administered in a number of ways. Many drugs can be administered in a variety of ways rather than just one.
- Inhaled, (breathed into the lungs), as an aerosol or dry powder. (This includes smoking a substance)
- Injected as a solution, suspension or emulsion either: intramuscular, intravenous, intraperitoneal, intraosseous.
- Insufflation, or snorted into the nose.
- Orally, as a liquid or solid, that is absorbed through the intestines.
- Rectally as a suppository, that is absorbed by the rectum or colon.
- Sublingually, diffusing into the blood through tissues under the tongue.
- Topically, usually as a cream or ointment. A drug administered in this manner may be given to act locally or systemically.
- Vaginally as a suppository, primarily to treat vaginal infections.
Read more about this topic: Drug
Other articles related to "administering drugs, drugs, drug":
... Drugs, both medicinal and recreational, can be administered in a number of ways ... Many drugs can be administered in a variety of ways rather than just one ... A drug administered in this manner may be given to act locally or systemically ...
... Although the majority of a dose of insufflated drug is taken up through the mucous membranes, some enters other parts of the gastrointestinal tract where it may ... a strong stimulant that is highly addictive most commonly associated with drug insufflation Opioids - a class of analgesic drugs (including heroin, morphine, oxycodone, buprenorphine, hydromorphone ... Various other drugs can be taken in intranasally for research purposes such as the neuropeptides MSH/ACTH, vasopressin and insulin ...
Famous quotes containing the word drugs:
“If we became students of Malcolm X, we would not have young black men out there killing each other like theyre killing each other now. Young black men would not be impregnating young black women at the rate going on now. Wed not have the drugs we have now, or the alcoholism.”
—Spike Lee (b. 1956)