Appearance of Devil's Night in Fiction
- Devil's Night is an integral part of the 1994 film The Crow. Set in Detroit, the film shows in flashbacks the murder of Eric Draven (Brandon Lee), and the rape and murder of his fiancée Shelley Webster (Sofia Shinas) on Devil's Night. At a meeting of criminal underworld figures later in the film, the main villain Top Dollar (Michael Wincott) is portrayed as having started the first fires himself, which were later emulated by others. He declares that the practice has become tiresome as "it's all been done before", referencing the perceived popularity of Devil's Night by claiming that there are even Devil's Night greeting cards. He intends to further escalate the destruction annually wrought by his organization by "setting a fire so big the gods will notice us again!". His plan is halted by Draven, who ultimately kills him in retaliation for ordering the murder of Draven and his fiancé.
- In the film Grosse Pointe Blank, which takes place in the Detroit suburbs of Grosse Pointe, the character Debi Newberry says that her apartment burned down on Devil's Night.
- Devil's Night was also chronicled in journalist Zev Chafets' 1990 nonfiction book Devil's Night and Other True Tales of Detroit.
- Devil's Night is used as a plot device in the 2007 Canadian horror film Left for Dead.
- The film 8 Mile features a sequence where the characters torch an abandoned house in Detroit that was used for crime, in reference to Devil's Night.
- Detroit hip-hop group D12's 2001 debut album is titled Devil's Night.
- Influenced "Devilz Nite" an annual Halloween series composed of underground hip-hop artist doing dark songs.
- Devil's Night appears in Laura Bickle's urban fantasy novel Embers (Pocket Books, 2010).
- Mischief Night appears in an episode of the Nickelodeon animated show Rocket Power.
- The sixth episode of the sixth season of the CBS drama Criminal Minds was titled "Devil's Night", and revolved around a burn victim who plotted his arsonist murders on the three days around Devil's Night.
- Devil's Night is mentioned in NCIS episode 143 "Code of Conduct".
- Devil's Night is a song featured on Infamous, the new album by post-hardcore band Motionless in White.
Read more about this topic: Devil's Night
Famous quotes containing the words fiction, night, appearance and/or devil:
“We can never safely exceed the actual facts in our narratives. Of pure invention, such as some suppose, there is no instance. To write a true work of fiction even is only to take leisure and liberty to describe some things more exactly as they are.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“We can travel longer, night and day, without losing our spirits than almost any persons we ever met.”
—Rutherford Birchard Hayes (18221893)
“Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact. Every appearance in nature corresponds to some state of the mind, and that state of the mind can only be described by presenting that natural appearance as its picture.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Those who consider the Devil to be a partisan of Evil and angels to be warriors for Good accept the demagogy of the angels. Things are clearly more complicated.”
—Milan Kundera (b. 1929)