Appearance of Devil's Night in Fiction
- Devil's Night is an integral part of the 1994 film The Crow. Set in Detroit, the film shows in flashbacks the murder of Eric Draven (Brandon Lee), and the rape and murder of his fiancée Shelley Webster (Sofia Shinas) on Devil's Night. At a meeting of criminal underworld figures later in the film, the main villain Top Dollar (Michael Wincott) is portrayed as having started the first fires himself, which were later emulated by others. He declares that the practice has become tiresome as "it's all been done before", referencing the perceived popularity of Devil's Night by claiming that there are even Devil's Night greeting cards. He intends to further escalate the destruction annually wrought by his organization by "setting a fire so big the gods will notice us again!". His plan is halted by Draven, who ultimately kills him in retaliation for ordering the murder of Draven and his fiancé.
- In the film Grosse Pointe Blank, which takes place in the Detroit suburbs of Grosse Pointe, the character Debi Newberry says that her apartment burned down on Devil's Night.
- Devil's Night was also chronicled in journalist Zev Chafets' 1990 nonfiction book Devil's Night and Other True Tales of Detroit.
- Devil's Night is used as a plot device in the 2007 Canadian horror film Left for Dead.
- The film 8 Mile features a sequence where the characters torch an abandoned house in Detroit that was used for crime, in reference to Devil's Night.
- Detroit hip-hop group D12's 2001 debut album is titled Devil's Night.
- Influenced "Devilz Nite" an annual Halloween series composed of underground hip-hop artist doing dark songs.
- Devil's Night appears in Laura Bickle's urban fantasy novel Embers (Pocket Books, 2010).
- Mischief Night appears in an episode of the Nickelodeon animated show Rocket Power.
- The sixth episode of the sixth season of the CBS drama Criminal Minds was titled "Devil's Night", and revolved around a burn victim who plotted his arsonist murders on the three days around Devil's Night.
- Devil's Night is mentioned in NCIS episode 143 "Code of Conduct".
- Devil's Night is a song featured on Infamous, the new album by post-hardcore band Motionless in White.
Read more about this topic: Devil's Night
Famous quotes containing the words appearance of, fiction, night, appearance and/or devil:
“Hence, the less government we have, the better,the fewer laws, and the less confided power. The antidote to this abuse of formal Government, is, the influence of private character, the growth of the Individual; the appearance of the principal to supersede the proxy; the appearance of the wise man, of whom the existing government, is, it must be owned, but a shabby imitation.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“If there were genders to genres, fiction would be unquestionably feminine.”
—William Gass (b. 1924)
“Like other cities created overnight in the Outlet, Woodward acquired between noon and sunset of September 16, 1893, a population of five thousand; and that night a voluntary committee on law and order sent around the warning, if you must shoot, shoot straight up!”
—State of Oklahoma, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)
“The true, prescriptive artist strives after artistic truth; the lawless artist, following blind instinct, after an appearance of naturalness. The one leads to the highest peaks of art, the other to its lowest depths.”
—Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (17491832)
“The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)