Appearance of Devil's Night in Fiction
- Devil's Night is an integral part of the 1994 film The Crow. Set in Detroit, the film shows in flashbacks the murder of Eric Draven (Brandon Lee), and the rape and murder of his fiancée Shelley Webster (Sofia Shinas) on Devil's Night. At a meeting of criminal underworld figures later in the film, the main villain Top Dollar (Michael Wincott) is portrayed as having started the first fires himself, which were later emulated by others. He declares that the practice has become tiresome as "it's all been done before", referencing the perceived popularity of Devil's Night by claiming that there are even Devil's Night greeting cards. He intends to further escalate the destruction annually wrought by his organization by "setting a fire so big the gods will notice us again!". His plan is halted by Draven, who ultimately kills him in retaliation for ordering the murder of Draven and his fiancé.
- In the film Grosse Pointe Blank, which takes place in the Detroit suburbs of Grosse Pointe, the character Debi Newberry says that her apartment burned down on Devil's Night.
- Devil's Night was also chronicled in journalist Zev Chafets' 1990 nonfiction book Devil's Night and Other True Tales of Detroit.
- Devil's Night is used as a plot device in the 2007 Canadian horror film Left for Dead.
- The film 8 Mile features a sequence where the characters torch an abandoned house in Detroit that was used for crime, in reference to Devil's Night.
- Detroit hip-hop group D12's 2001 debut album is titled Devil's Night.
- Influenced "Devilz Nite" an annual Halloween series composed of underground hip-hop artist doing dark songs.
- Devil's Night appears in Laura Bickle's urban fantasy novel Embers (Pocket Books, 2010).
- Mischief Night appears in an episode of the Nickelodeon animated show Rocket Power.
- The sixth episode of the sixth season of the CBS drama Criminal Minds was titled "Devil's Night", and revolved around a burn victim who plotted his arsonist murders on the three days around Devil's Night.
- Devil's Night is mentioned in NCIS episode 143 "Code of Conduct".
- Devil's Night is a song featured on Infamous, the new album by post-hardcore band Motionless in White.
Read more about this topic: Devil's Night
Famous quotes containing the words appearance of, fiction, night, appearance and/or devil:
“Now the appearance of the glory of the LORD was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel.”
—Bible: Hebrew, Exodus 24:17.
“... fiction never exceeds the reach of the writers courage.”
—Dorothy Allison (b. 1949)
“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”
—Daphne Du Maurier (19071989)
“Look into the worldhow often do you behold a sordid wretch, whose straight heart is open to no mans affliction, taking shelter behind an appearance of piety, and putting on the garb of religion, which none but the merciful and compassionate have a title to wear.”
—Laurence Sterne (17131768)
“What a devil hast thou to do with the time of the day? Unless hours were cups of sack, and minutes capons, and clocks the
tongues of bawds, and dials the signs of leaping-houses, and the blessed sun himself a fair hot wench in flame-colored
taffeta, I see no reason why thou shouldst be so superfluous
to demand the time of the day.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)