Descent may refer to:
In genealogy and inheritance:
- Common descent, concept in evolutionary biology
- Kinship and descent, one of the major concepts of cultural anthropology
- Pedigree chart or family tree
- Tree diagram (disambiguation)
- Inheritance (law and property)
- Infinite descent, a method going back to Fermat to solve Diophantine equations
- Descent (category theory), an idea extending the notion of "gluing" in topology
- Hadamard's method of descent, a technique for solving partial differential equations
- Gradient descent, a first-order optimization algorithm going back to Newton
- Descents in permutations, a classical permutation statistic in combinatorics
- Descent (aircraft), the decrease of an aircraft in altitude during flight
- Descent (font), the distance that a typeface descends below the baseline in typography
Read more about Descent: As A Proper Name
Other articles related to "descent":
... "Possession", "When Death Had No Name" and "Descent" Rehearsal demos exist for these tracks and circulate on bootlegs ... A finished version of "Descent" was later released on the Samhain album Final Descent ...
... ايمن كيكي) is a Bulgarian footballer of Arab descent, currently playing as a midfielder ... His mother is of Bulgarian descent, but his father is of Syrian descent ...
... Descent of the Ganges at Mahabalipuram, in the Tamil Nadu state of India, is one of a group of monuments that were designated as a World Heritage Site since 1984 ... in the relief is the story of the descent of the sacred river Ganges to earth from the heavens led by Bhagiratha ... The descent of the Ganges and Arjuna's Penance are portrayed in stone at the Pallava heritage site ...
... In film The Descent, a 2005 horror film The Descent Part 2, the 2009 sequel to the 2005 film Descent (2005 film), a television film on the Sci-Fi Channel Descent (2007 film), a thriller starring Rosario ...
... be a male of full Southern Italian (preferably Sicilian) descent ... that this requirement has been loosened so that males of half Italian descent through their father's line can also be inducted ... Some examples of made members who are not of full Italian descent include John A ...
Famous quotes containing the word descent:
“In the world of the celebrity, the hierarchy of publicity has replaced the hierarchy of descent and even of great wealth.”
—C. Wright Mills (19161962)
“And every stone shall cry,
In praises of the child
By whose descent among us
The worlds are reconciled.”
—Richard Wilbur (b. 1921)
“There is Hawthorne, with genius so shrinking and rare
That you hardly at first see the strength that is there;
A frame so robust, with a nature so sweet,
So earnest, so graceful, so lithe and so fleet,
Is worth a descent from Olympus to meet;”
—James Russell Lowell (18191891)