Clash of The Champions V: St. Valentine's Massacre
Clash of the Champions V took place on February 15, 1989 at the Cleveland Convention Center in Cleveland, Ohio. There were 5,000 people in attendance and the show drew a 4.6 rating on TBS. This show was warm up show for the Chi-Town Rumble PPV only 5 days later.
Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- The Midnight Express defeated The Russian Assassins (Russian Assassin I & Russian Assassin II) (13:15)
- Bobby Eaton pinned Assassin I after a Rocket Launcher
- Butch Reed defeated Steven Casey (17:36)
- Butch Reed pinned Casey after a shoulder tackle off the top rope.
- Steven Casey was billed as ”undefeated” coming in to this match.
- Lex Luger defeated The Blackmailer (with Hiro Matsuda)(12:53)
- Luger pinned the Blackmailer after a Super Plex from the top rope
- The masked Blackmailer was Jack Victory who did double duty on the night (he was also Russian Assassin #2)
- NWA United States Tag Team Champions Mike Rotunda and Steve Williams defeated The Fantastics (13:25)
- Steve Williams pinned Tommy Rogers after Mike Rotunda interfered.
- Mike Rotunda replaced Kevin Sullivan in the match, Sullivan & Williams originally won the US titles.
- Ricky Steamboat defeated Bob Bradley (6:23)
- Steamboat pinned Bob Bradley with a top rope cross body block
- Steamboat's 1 year old son and wife were at ringside.
- Rick Steiner defeated Rip Morgan (4:40)
- Rick Steiner pinned Morgan after a belly-to-belly suplex.
- Steiner was the reigning NWA World Television champion but the title was not on the line.
- NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Champions The Road Warriors and Genichiro Tenryu fought Mike Rotunda, Kevin Sullivan and Steve Williams to a double disqualification (5:53)
- The match is declared a double disqualification when Sting, Junkyard Dog and Michael Hayes stormed the ring.
- Sting, JYD & Hayes were originally slated to face the Road Warriors & Tenryu but were locked in by Kevin Sullivan before the match
A Ric Flair scheduled interview resulted in a Ricky Steamboat confrontation and an unscheduled in-ring, and out-of-ring, brawl, resulting in Flair losing all his clothes except his socks and trunks.
Read more about this topic: Clash Of The Champions, National Wrestling Alliance (World Championship Wrestling)
Famous quotes containing the words clash of, massacre, valentine and/or clash:
“God of justice, save the people
From the clash of race and creed,
From the strife of class and faction,
Make our nation free indeed;”
—William Pierson Merrill (18671954)
“The bourgeoisie of the whole world, which looks complacently upon the wholesale massacre after the battle, is convulsed by horror at the desecration of brick and mortar.”
—Karl Marx (18181883)
“There would have to be something wrong with someone who could throw out a childs first Valentine card saying, I love you, Mommy.”
—Ginger Hutton (20th century)
“When I am finishing a picture I hold some God-made object up to ita rock, a flower, the branch of a tree or my handas a kind of final test. If the painting stands up beside a thing man cannot make, the painting is authentic. If theres a clash between the two, it is bad art.”
—Marc Chagall (18891985)