- The circle is the shape with the largest area for a given length of perimeter. (See Isoperimetric inequality.)
- The circle is a highly symmetric shape: every line through the centre forms a line of reflection symmetry and it has rotational symmetry around the centre for every angle. Its symmetry group is the orthogonal group O(2,R). The group of rotations alone is the circle group T.
- All circles are similar.
- A circle's circumference and radius are proportional.
- The area enclosed and the square of its radius are proportional.
- The constants of proportionality are 2π and π, respectively.
- The circle which is centred at the origin with radius 1 is called the unit circle.
- Thought of as a great circle of the unit sphere, it becomes the Riemannian circle.
- Through any three points, not all on the same line, there lies a unique circle. In Cartesian coordinates, it is possible to give explicit formulae for the coordinates of the centre of the circle and the radius in terms of the coordinates of the three given points. See circumcircle.
Read more about this topic: Circle
Other articles related to "properties":
... Further information Mineral physics The physical properties of minerals must be understood to infer the composition of the Earth's interior from seismology, the geothermal ... Mineral physicists study the elastic properties of minerals their high-pressure phase diagrams, melting points and equations of state at high pressure and the rheological properties of rocks, or their ... Water is a very complex substance and its unique properties are essential for life ...
0.02 0.001 0.02 0.0005 0.001 Zamak 4 properties Property Metric value English value Mechanical properties Ultimate tensile strength 317 MPa 46,000 psi Yield strength (0.2% offset) 221—269 MPa 32,000 ...
... Many of the Kiawah Island properties are located directly on the beach or just a short distance away, and there are numerous golf course properties and lagoon view properties as well ...
... min 3.9 0.7 0.03 - - - - - - - - max 4.3 1.1 0.06 0.004 0.003 0.0015 0.035 - - - - Zamak 5 properties Property Metric value English value Mechanical ...
0.02 - - - †Impurity ‡Alloying element Zamak 7 properties Property Metric value English value Mechanical properties Ultimate tensile strength 285 MPa 41,300 psi Yield strength (0.2% offset) 285 MPa 41,300 ...
Famous quotes containing the word properties:
“A drop of water has the properties of the sea, but cannot exhibit a storm. There is beauty of a concert, as well as of a flute; strength of a host, as well as of a hero.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“The reason why men enter into society, is the preservation of their property; and the end why they choose and authorize a legislative, is, that there may be laws made, and rules set, as guards and fences to the properties of all the members of the society: to limit the power, and moderate the dominion, of every part and member of the society.”
—John Locke (16321704)