- A film or a story is said to keep you on the edge of your seat, if it is suspenseful or engaging.
- If you nearly fell off your chair, it was because you were very surprised.
- An orchestra awards a musician a chair or seat based on ability. The best player in a particular section will receive "first chair," or the "principal seat." It is also common for this position to be known as 'first stand,' a reference to the portable lectern on which the musicians put their sheet music. However, the person who is first chair in the first violin section is usually referred to as the concertmaster in the USA or leader in the UK.
- Musical chairs is a common party game, and a colloquial expression to describe people shuffling from seat to seat, or around different locations.
- In American slang, to say someone has gotten "the chair" is to say that they have been executed by an electric chair.
- To be on its last leg is an expression that stems from the practice of sawing the ends of chair legs off in previous centuries. It means that it is decrepit and nearing the end of its serviceability.
Read more about this topic: Chair
Other articles related to "in language, language":
... In Russian language, "fantastic" (rus ... фантастика) is used as an umbrella term that encompasses science fiction (called "science fantastic", rus ...
... Language endangerment occurs when a language is at risk of falling out of use as its speakers die out or shift to speaking another language ... Language loss occurs when the language has no more native speakers, and becomes a dead language ... If eventually no one speaks the language at all, it becomes an extinct language ...
... Film is considered to have its own language ... famously said, " Tarkovsky for me is the greatest, the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream." Examples of the language are a sequence of ...
... Macedonian (македонски јазик, makedonski jazik, ) is a South Slavic language, spoken as a first language by approximately 2–3 million people principally in the region ... It is the official language of the Republic of Macedonia and an official minority language in parts of Albania, Romania and Serbia ... Standard Macedonian was implemented as the official language of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia in 1945 and has since developed a thriving literary ...
... In formal languages, truth functions are represented by unambiguous symbols ... These symbols are called "logical connectives", "logical operators", "propositional operators", or, in classical logic, "truth-functional connectives" ...
Famous quotes containing the word language:
“Had Dr. Johnson written his own life, in conformity with the opinion which he has given, that every mans life may be best written by himself; had he employed in the preservation of his own history, that clearness of narration and elegance of language in which he has embalmed so many eminent persons, the world would probably have had the most perfect example of biography that was ever exhibited.”
—James Boswell (174095)
“Experiment is necessary in establishing an academy, but certain principles must apply to this business of art as to any other business which affects the artis tic sense of the community. Great art speaks a language which every intelligent person can understand. The people who call themselves modernists today speak a different language.”
—Robert Menzies (18941978)