These are the holy days that Chinese Buddhists celebrate by visiting temples to make offerings of prayers, incense, fruits, flowers and donations. On such days they observe the moral precepts very strictly as well as a full day’s vegetarian diet, a practice originally from China. The dates given are based on the Chinese calendar system so that 8.4 means the Eighth day of the fourth lunar moon and so on.
- 8.12 — Enlightenment Day of Śākyamuni Buddha
- 1.1 — Birthday of Maitreya Buddha
- 9.1 — Birthday of Śakra, Lord of the Devas
- 8.2 — Renunciation Day of Śākyamuni Buddha
- 15.2 — Mahāparinirvāṇa Day of Śākyamuni Buddha
- 19.2 — Birthday of Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara (Guan Yin)
- 21.2 — Birthday of Bodhisattva Samantabhadra
- 4.4 — Birthday of Bodhisattva Mañjuśrī
- 8.4 — Birthday of Śākyamuni Buddha
- 15.4 — Vesak Day
- 3.6 — Birthday of Skanda (Wei Tuo)
- 10.6 — Birthday of Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche)
- 19.6 — Enlightenment Day of Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara
- 13.7 — Birthday of Bodhisattva Mahāsthāmaprāpta
- 15.7 — Ghost Festival
- 30.7 — Birthday of Bodhisattva Kṣitigarbha
- 22.8 — Birthday of Dīpaṃkara Buddha (an ancient buddha)
- 19.9 — Renunciation Day of Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara
- 30.9 — Birthday of Bhaiṣajyaguru Buddha (Medicine Buddha)
- 5.10 — Anniversary of the death of Bodhidharma
- 17.11 — Birthday of Amitābha Buddha
Read more about this topic: Buddhism In China
Other articles related to "festival, festivals":
... The National Immigrant's Festival is celebrated in Oberá, Misiones, during the first fortnight of September, since 1980 ... diversity throughout the country, such as the National Meeting and Festival of the Communities in Rosario (typically at the beginning of November) ... There are also Immigrant's Festivals (or Collectivities Festivals) throughout the country, for example Bariloche, Berisso, Esperanza, Venado Tuerto, and Comodoro Rivadavia have their own Immigrant ...
... Ashland is also home to the Summer Motion festival and Poage Landing Days, while Olive Hill also hosts the International Strange Music Weekend and the Shriner's Bluegrass ... Other festivals include the Forkland Heritage Festival and Revue in Gravel Switch ... Lexington is host to the oldest bluegrass music festival in the state ...
... Well known festivals, that are popular among the Oriya people, are the Ratha Yatra which is celebrated in Puri, Orissa, Durga Puja, Raja, Pana Sankranti (as Vaisakhi is called in Orissa ) ...
... faith, Durga Puja is the most visible of all festivals ... Other notable festivals are Diwali/Kalipuja,Jagaddhatri Puja, Saraswati Puja, Dol jatra/Holi, Rakhi, Eid and Christmas ...
... Kalahandi is a rich land in terms of culture and festivals ... stream Hindu culture have made Kalahandi region rich with culture and festivals ... and tribal culture makes Kalahandi region rich in its culture and festivals ...
Famous quotes containing the word festivals:
“Why wont they let a year die without bringing in a new one on the instant, cant they use birth control on time? I want an interregnum. The stupid years patter on with unrelenting feet, never stoppingrising to little monotonous peaks in our imaginations at festivals like New Years and Easter and ChristmasBut, goodness, why need they do it?”
—John Dos Passos (18961970)
“This is certainly not the place for a discourse about what festivals are for. Discussions on this theme were plentiful during that phase of preparation and on the whole were fruitless. My experience is that discussion is fruitless. What sets forth and demonstrates is the sight of events in action, is living through these events and understanding them.”
—Doris Lessing (b. 1919)