Ban may refer to:
- Ban (law), a decree that prohibits something, sometimes a form of censorship
- The imperial ban, a form of outlawry in the medieval Holy Roman Empire
- Herem (censure), usually translated as the Ban, a form of excommunication in Judaism
- Herem (war or property), a command to destroy in the Hebrew Bible
- Ban (title), a noble title which was used in south-eastern Europe (Romania, Croatia, Bosnia and Hungary)
- Ban of Croatia
- Ban (information), a logarithmic unit of information or weight of evidence
- Ban (mythology), a king from Arthurian legend
- Ban (deodorant), a brand name deodorant & antiperspirant
- Ban (medieval), a Frankish institution
- Ban (plural: bani), a coin, the 1/100 part of a Romanian leu or Moldovan leu
- Muban, or Ban for short, the lowest administrative subdivision of Thailand
- Another name for the paiban, a clapper used in Chinese music
Other articles related to "ban":
... Akaza BanBan, nicknamed Ban, a character in Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger Ban Mido, a main character of the GetBackers series ...
... Wu Ban, style name Yuanxiong (元雄), was a military general of Shu Han during the Three Kingdoms era of Chinese history ... A relative of Wu Yi (吳懿), Wu Ban at one time was a close servant under Liu Zhang ... Battle of Xiaoting against Sun Quan, Wu Ban was tasked to lead the vanguard, winning many battles along with surrounding Sun Huan at Yiling ...
... The Jōban Expressway (常磐自動車道, Jōban Jidōsha-dō?), abbreviated Jōban-dō (常磐道?), is a national expressway in Japan ...
... Pierre De Bané, PC, QC (born August 2, 1938) is a Canadian Senator ... De Bané was born in Haifa, Palestine to Lebanese parents ... The family settled in Quebec, and De Bané became a lawyer as an adult ...
... On December 18, 2007 Doctor Santuccione was given a lifetime ban by the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) due to his involvement in the Oil for ... On October 26, 2007 the Italian pole vaulter Giuseppe Gibilisco was given a two-year ban for his involvement ...
Famous quotes containing the word ban:
“So in peace our tasks we ply,
Pangur Ban, my cat, and I;
In our arts we find our bliss,
I have mine and he has his.”
—Unknown. Pangur Ban (l. 2528)
“It is cruel for you to leave your daughter, so full of hope and resolve, to suffer the humiliations of disfranchisement she already feels so keenly, and which she will find more and more galling as she grows into the stronger and grander woman she is sure to be. If it were your son who for any cause was denied his right to have his opinion counted, you would compass sea and land to lift the ban from him.”
—Susan B. Anthony (18201906)
“Its red hot, mate. I hate to think of this sort of book getting in the wrong hands. As soon as Ive finished this, I shall recommend they ban it.”
—Tony Hancock (19241968)