Formal DefinitionSee also: Jordan measure
An approach to defining what is meant by "area" is through axioms. "Area" can be defined as a function from a collection M of special kind of plane figures (termed measurable sets) to the set of real numbers which satisfies the following properties:
- For all S in M, a(S) ≥ 0.
- If S and T are in M then so are S ∪ T and S ∩ T, and also a(S∪T) = a(S) + a(T) − a(S∩T).
- If S and T are in M with S ⊆ T then T − S is in M and a(T−S) = a(T) − a(S).
- If a set S is in M and S is congruent to T then T is also in M and a(S) = a(T).
- Every rectangle R is in M. If the rectangle has length h and breadth k then a(R) = hk.
- Let Q be a set enclosed between two step regions S and T. A step region is formed from a finite union of adjacent rectangles resting on a common base, i.e. S ⊆ Q ⊆ T. If there is a unique number c such that a(S) ≤ c ≤ a(T) for all such step regions S and T, then a(Q) = c.
It can be proved that such an area function actually exists.
Read more about this topic: Area
Other articles related to "formal definition":
... In typical usage, the formal definition of O notation is not used directly rather, the O notation for a function f(x) is derived by the following simplification rules If f(x) is a sum of ... One may confirm this calculation using the formal definition let f(x) = 6x4 − 2x3 + 5 and g(x) = x4 ... Applying the formal definition from above, the statement that f(x) = O(x4) is equivalent to its expansion, for some suitable choice of x0 and M and for all x > x0 ...
... The above controller for crosswalk lights can be modeled by an atomic SP-DEVS model ... Formally, an atomic SP-DEVS is a 7-tuple where is a finite set of input events is a finite set of output events is a finite set of states is the initial state is the time advanced function which defines the lifespan of a state where is the set of non-negative rational numbers plus infinity ...
Famous quotes containing the words definition and/or formal:
“The physicians say, they are not materialists; but they are:MSpirit is matter reduced to an extreme thinness: O so thin!But the definition of spiritual should be, that which is its own evidence. What notions do they attach to love! what to religion! One would not willingly pronounce these words in their hearing, and give them the occasion to profane them.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“The spiritual kinship between Lincoln and Whitman was founded upon their Americanism, their essential Westernism. Whitman had grown up without much formal education; Lincoln had scarcely any education. One had become the notable poet of the day; one the orator of the Gettsyburg Address. It was inevitable that Whitman as a poet should turn with a feeling of kinship to Lincoln, and even without any association or contact feel that Lincoln was his.”
—Edgar Lee Masters (18691950)