Al Maktoum (آلمكتوم in Arabic) is the family name of the ruling dynasty of the emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The Al Maktoum family is a branch of the Bani Yas tribe (a lineage the family shares with the Al Nahyan dynasty of Abu Dhabi), a powerful bedouin clan from the interior. The Al Maktoum family descends from the Al Bu Falasah (now known as Al-Falasi) section of the Bani Yas, a tribal federation that was the dominant power throughout most of what is now the United Arab Emirates. In 1833, about 800 members of the Bani Yas tribe, under the leadership of Maktoum bin Butti, took over the emirate of Dubai and established the Al Maktoum dynasty in the emirate.
The Al Maktoum dynasty has ruled Dubai since 1833. Within the federation of the United Arab Emirates, the ruler of Dubai is also the country's Vice President and Prime Minister. The following Al Maktoum members have ruled over Dubai:
- ... - 9 June 1833 Sheikh `Ubayd bin Said
- 9 June 1833 - 1852 Sheikh Maktoum I bin Bati bin Suhayl (d. 1852)
- 1852 - 1859 Sheikh Said I bin Bati (d. 1859)
- 1859 - 22 November 1886 Sheikh Hushur bin Maktoum (d. 1886)
- 22 November 1886 - 7 April 1894 Sheikh Rashid I bin Maktoum (d. 1894)
- 7 April 1894 - 16 February 1906 Sheikh Maktoum II bin Hushur (b. 18.. - d. 1906)
- 16 February 1906 - November 1912 Sheikh Butti bin Suhail (b. 1851 - d. 1912)
- November 1912 - 15 April 1929 Sheikh Saeed II bin Maktum (1st time) (b. 1878 - d. 1958)
- 15 April 1929 - 18 April 1929 Sheikh Mani3 bin Rashid
- 18 April 1929 - September 1958 Sheikh Saeed II bin Maktum (2nd time)
- September 1958 - 7 October 1990 Sheikh Rashid II bin Said Al Maktoum (b. 1912 - d. 1990)
- 7 October 1990 - 4 January 2006 Sheikh Maktoum III bin Rashid Al Maktoum (b. 1943 - d. 2006)
- 4 January 2006 – present Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (b. 1949)
Other articles related to "al maktoum, al, maktoum":
... two more SALIK gates were instituted, one at Safa Park and another at Al Maktoum Bridge ... Once a motorist passes through Al Barsha toll gate, he will be charged Dh4 ... or left turn or does not get stuck in traffic and passes though the Al Safa toll gate, he will not be charged ...
... As the British pulled out of Dubai in the late 1950s, Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum al Maktoum decreed an open seas, open skies, and open trade policy, to ... Chairman was Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, nephew of the ruler of Dubai became chairman of Department of Civil Aviation and DNATA itself ... Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum later gifted two Boeing 727-200s to the airline ...
... Boutin Jonathan Pease Henry Seymour 148.70 1993 Fadeyev Thierry Jarnet André Fabre Maktoum Al Maktoum 147.90 1994 Housamix Sylvain Guillot André Fabre Jean-Luc Lagardère 146.10 1995 Ashkalani Gérald ...
... Maitha Al Maktoum competed in taekwondo, and Latifa Al Maktoum in show jumping (equestrian) ... The former is the daughter of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai ...
... Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum (1878–1958) (Arabic سعيد بن مكتوم آل مكتوم) was the Ruler of Dubai from 1912 until his death in 1958 ... the grandfather of the current ruler Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (b. 1949) and father of Emirates Airline chairman Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum ...