Bids Which Did Not Go To Application
- Brisbane, Australia
- Hobart, Australia
- Cairo, Egypt
- Berlin, Germany
- Budapest, Hungary
- Delhi, India
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Lisbon, Portugal
The following cities proposed submitting bids but announced prior to the 1 September deadline that they would not put forth a bid. The following list is in order of cancellation:
- Prague, Czech Republic cancelled its bid because of the global financial crisis.
- Bucharest, Romania decided not to proceed with its bid because the city hall's general counsellors believed the project would be unachievable.
- Hiroshima, Japan decided to pull out following poor public reaction to the bid and also because of a lack of funding.
- Busan, South Korea decided not to bid following Pyeongchang's successful bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics.
- Paris, France is now expected to bid for the 2024 Olympic Games, as France pulled out of the 2020 bid following the defeat of Annecy's bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics. 2024 would coincide with the 100th anniversary of the 1924 Olympics which were held in the French capital.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates was considering a bid for 2020 but decided to instead wait until 2024.
- Toronto, Canada was considering a bid for the 2020 Games, but announced on 11 August 2011 that it was not bidding. The mayor's office stated that bidding on the 2020 Games would not be prudent in the current climate of global financial stagnation. Toronto is expected to bid on the 2024 Olympic Games.
- Durban, South Africa was discussed as a potential bid, however it was announced on 17 August 2011, that South Africa would not put forth a 2020 bid.
- Saint Petersburg, Russia decided not to bid despite having discussed the plan with the head of the Russian Olympic Committee. They withdrew on 22 August 2011, instead planning on bidding for either 2024 or 2028.
- Multiple cities in the United States were interested in bidding but the USOC confirmed that the US would not bid, citing financial reasons. The IOC stated that it would like to have received a bid for 2020 from the United States. On 29 August 2011, it was revealed that Las Vegas submitted a bid to the IOC without USOC consent. The IOC rejected the bid.
Read more about this topic: 2020 Summer Olympics
Famous quotes containing the words application and/or bids:
“Preaching is the expression of the moral sentiment in application to the duties of life.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Most of the money given by rich people in charity is made up of conscience money, ransom, political bribery, and bids for titles.... One buys moral credit by signing a cheque, which is easier than turning a prayer wheel.”
—George Bernard Shaw (18561950)