- Best Jazz Instrumental Solo
- Chick Corea for "Matrix"
- Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group
- Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album
- Jay Newland (engineer/mixer), Gil Goldstein, Michael Brecker (producers) & the Michael Brecker Quindectet for Wide Angles
- Best Jazz Vocal Album
- Michael O'Reilly (engineer), Arif Mardin (producer) & Dianne Reeves for A Little Moonlight
- Best Contemporary Jazz Album
- George Whitty (engineer/mixer & producer) & Randy Brecker (producers & artist) for 34th N Lex
- Best Latin Jazz Album
- Robert J. Friedrich (engineer/mixer), Michel Camilo (producer & artist), Charles Flores & Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez for Live at the Blue Note
Other articles related to "jazz":
... The onstage jazz band in I iii (which can be drawn from the pit players) consists of 3 clarinets in Bb bass clarinet in Bb alto saxophone in Eb tenor saxophone in Bb contrabassoon 2 "Jazz trumpets" in B 2 Jazz ... the vibraphone, an instrument that was previously solely associated with jazz ...
... In a long research process he developed a philosophical and spiritual concept connecting with certain cultural efforts that express fundamental aspects of nature and human existence in a holistic way ... Steve Coleman found these efforts all over the world and they reach far back into ancient times ...
... having served in the Navy for eighteen months, he joined a jazz formation named the Carolina Five, and remained a member for the next three years, playing small ... The Sunny South, and then joined Mamie Smith's Jazz Hounds, replacing trumpeter Johnny Dunn ... While touring in Chicago, he heard King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band playing and was captivated by Oliver's use of mutes ...
... In jazz and jazz harmony, the term altered chord, notated as an alt chord (e.g ... More generally in jazz, the terms altered chord and altered tone also refer to the family of chords that involve ♭9 and ♭5 voicing, as well as to certain other chords with related ambiguous ... When voiced with a ♮13, jazz musicians typically play the half-step/whole-step diminished scale over the ♭9 chord (e.g ...
... West Coast Jazz Modern Jazz in California, 1945-1960 ... Before Motown A History of Jazz in Detroit 1920-60 ...
Famous quotes containing the word jazz:
“Though the Jazz Age continued it became less and less an affair of youth. The sequel was like a childrens party taken over by the elders.”
—F. Scott Fitzgerald (18961940)
“The further jazz moves away from the stark blue continuum and the collective realities of Afro-American and American life, the more it moves into academic concert-hall lifelessness, which can be replicated by any middle class showing off its music lessons.”
—Imamu Amiri Baraka (b. 1934)
“Theres more bad music in jazz than any other form. Maybe thats because the audience doesnt really know whats happening.”
—Pat Metheny (b. 1954)