Major Rule Changes
- Whenever the quarterback is sacked, the clock will be stopped for at least five seconds and then restarted again.
- If a fair catch is made, or signaled and awarded to a team because of interference, on the last play of a half, the period can be extended and the team can run one play from scrimmage or attempt a fair catch kick.
- Defensive linemen can wear numbers 90 to 99.
- Centers are included as the interior offensive linemen in the uniform numbering system.
- Players are prohibited from wearing torn or altered equipment. Tear-away jerseys are banned.
- During kickoffs, punts, and field goal attempts, players on the receiving team cannot block below the waist.
- The zone in which crackback blocks are prohibited is extended from 3 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage to 5.
- Players cannot use their helmets to butt, spear, or ram an opponent. Any player who uses the crown or the top of his helmet unnecessarily will be called for unnecessary roughness.
- In order to prevent incidents such as the Holy Roller game, the following change is made: If an offensive player fumbles during a fourth down play, or during any down played after the two minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player can recover and/or advance the ball. This change is known as the "Ken Stabler rule" after the Oakland Raiders quarterback who made the infamous play in the Holy Roller game.
- Referees were outfitted with black identifying hats, while all other officials continued to wear white hats.
- For the first time, each official's position was identified on his shirt. The position was abbreviated on the front pocket of the shirt and then spelled out on the back above the number.
- The numbering system for officials was altered, with officials numbered separately by position rather than as an entire group, making duplicate numbers among officials common.
Read more about this topic: 1979 NFL Season
Other articles related to "major, major rule changes":
... In the chord C Major7, C-E is a major third E-G is a minor third and G to B is a major third ...
... A general staff (Etat-Major Général) commands the armed forces, consisting of a joint staff (Etat-Major inter-armes) a training staff (Etat-Major de la Formation), and a logistics staff (Etat ...
... The Stanley Cup trustees decided prior to this season that all future Stanley Cup challenges would take place after the end of the regular season. ...
... The City is today a major business and financial centre, ranking as the leading centre of global finance throughout the 19th century, the City served as the world's primary business centre, and continues ... The other major financial district in London is Canary Wharf, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) to the east ... The legal profession forms a major component of the northern and western sides of the City - especially in the Temple and Chancery Lane areas where the ...
... system" is defined by, "(1) the use of only major and minor triads (or seventh chords made out of them) and (2) keeping the natural-minor scale pure as ... Thus minor triads on, and, and major on, are allowed but no form on the second is, either the altered major or minor, or the already occurring but consistently avoided ...
Famous quotes containing the words rule and/or major:
“I make it a kind of pious rule to go to every funeral to which I am invited, both as I wish to pay a proper respect to the dead, unless their characters have been bad, and as I would wish to have the funeral of my own near relations or of myself well attended.”
—James Boswell (17401795)
“What was lost in the European cataclysm was not only the Jewish pastthe whole life of a civilizationbut also a major share of the Jewish future.... [ellipsis in source] It was not only the intellect of a people in its prime that was excised, but the treasure of a people in its potential.”
—Cynthia Ozick (b. 1928)